note

...a little glimpse of my very exciting life!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sunny sendoff

I awoke this morning to a sunny day in New Hampshire.  I can't remember the last day it was sunny there, it was so nice.  As a packed the car and then got gas, I saw and heard the Wiggins (small cargo planes) departing.  I had absolutely no desire to be working them and it made me smile.  As I drove away I felt kind of bad that I was not the least bit sad to be leaving New Hampshire.  So, off I went, in Massachusetts I ran into the morning traffic.  I'll let you use your imagination as to how my next hour or two went!  Then I hit Connecticut and was able to make up some time.  They like to drive FAST there!  Then it was on into New York, what can I say..no matter where I have or will live..I will always consider myself a New Yorker and I love New York.  I got off the interstate for lunch and gas, and discovered that I was in New Jersey.  The interstate was New York, but this little town was in NJ.  It was a very small, very blue collar little place and it felt a little twilight zone-ish, even my usually scruptous Mickey D's hamburger didn't taste quite right.  I ate quick and left and was in Pennsylvania within minutes.  I knew I was in PA right away because I started bumping and shaking in the car.  I have felt for years that PA needs to add some highway maintenance money to their budget.  They have the worst roads!  I was in PA for quite awhile with no excitement, then I finally ran into some farms that were pretty to look at.  Next, Maryland.  I missed getting a pic of the welcome sign because I had just seen the Mason-Dixon line sign and was wondering if I had just driven into enemy territory!  I don't think I was in MD for more than 10-15 minutes, it was just that narrow strip.  Then I entered West Virginia.  It had been about 4 hours since I had stopped for lunch, so I stopped again for gas.  I was going to get a snack but all they had was fried raccoon so I passed!  I continued on into Virginia.  I started seeing different Shenandoah signs so I day dreamed of Jimmy Stewart and the movie for awhile...then I started wondering why everyone was driving 65mph in both lanes when the speed limit was 70mph.  This distracted and bugged me for quite awhile until...I saw the sign for Charlottesville!  All thought of weirdo driving habits left me as I started searching the nearby peaks, seeing if I could pick out...you guessed it..Walton's Mountain!  Go ahead and laugh, but I am not embarrassed to say that it is one of my all time favorite shows!  It was just getting dark, so I decided to stay here in Charlottesville tonight.  I took some pics along the way today.  No comments on their quality.  Remember I was driving the car at 65mph while I took them.
goodbye New Hampshire!

MA welcome sign

CT welcome sign on the left

NY welcome sign on the left

the Hudson River with chunks of ice in it (I wish that barrier wasn't there!)

PA welcome sign

MD welcome sign, I think

the Potomac River

WV welcome sign

VA welcome sign

9 states in 11 hours today, I can't wait to see what I see tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment