note

...a little glimpse of my very exciting life!

Monday, October 20, 2014

Trabzon, Turkey

Monday, October 20 we got back to Turkey.  We arrived in Trabzon this morning.  This was a packed day with a workout included!  The highlight of the day was going to a Monastery built into the side of a mountain.  It took a while to drive there.  Once there we took minivans and then hiked uphill...289 steps and lots of just a hill.  It had rained the night before so it was a bit muddy and slippery with tree roots sticking out.  I was very happy that I did not fall going up or coming down.  Even though coming down was easier, it was steep enough for me to be concerned about falling.  It was pretty high up.  It was very cool, probably in the 40's and there was snow in the mountains in the distance, very pretty.  The Monastery itself was very neato.  Frescos in caves and cool buildings.  We also went to a mosque which had once been a Christian Church.  I was happy to see that they had not destroyed the frescos there, but covered then up with sheets.  We drove around the city to get to a scenic overlook at the end of the day.  I was happy to see the streets and people and get a couple nice photos.  This was a fun stop and I'm glad we came here.  This was one of the substitute cities on the cruise when the Ukraine ports were cancelled for security reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment