I arrived in Fairbanks, Alaska at 2 o'clock this morning. It was light out so it didn't look like the middle of the night, but for a non-airplane sleeper like me, it sure felt like it. I got a little rest and then got on another airplane at 8am, traveling from Fairbanks to Anchorage. My plan in Anchorage was to hopefully get into my hotel room early and get some sleep and then go looking around. Unfortunately, as fate would have it, mine was the last room cleaned and I couldn't get in until 3pm. So, I had to work up some energy and start walking around. I started out at the mall to see what they had to eat. After eating I started exploring and found some VERY nice shops...As you have probably figured out it was all downhill from there as far as the budget goes! After I couldn't hold anymore bags, I headed back to the hotel and sat on the floor outside my room until it was finished being cleaned. Then I went in and dropped my bags, took my wallet and camera and headed back out. I went on a very informative trolley tour and then did a little more shopping. Now I just have to get my stuff organized and go to sleep. 5am is sure to come early. Tomorrow it's off to Denali Park, I doubt I'll have internet there so I probably won't post again until Friday in Fairbanks. Here are some photos from today.
![]()
While everyone else on the plane from Seattle to Fairbanks was sleeping I shot this cool pic!
This is so cool! The tops of the snow covered mountains popping through the clouds. When we descended I could see the bottom of the mountains but not the top.
In Anchorage...I had been awake about 36 hours when I took this.
The view from my hotel balcony. You can see the mountains over my left shoulder.
From the balcony, looking in the other direction.
10% of the people living in Alaska are pilots.
Lots of float planes, you can see them all lined up on the opposite side of the lake.
The totally cute Visitor's Center.
With 18+ hours of daylight right now the plants grow like crazy!
There are beautiful flowers all over Anchorage.
The hanging pots are huge!
I hope you're able to see how pretty this street is with all the flowers.
Let me end by saying that you don't have to be an outdoor type of person to like Alaska. It is like no other part of the United States that I have ever been to and everyone should experience being here. If you own a plaid flannel shirt..you're already on your way!
No comments:
Post a Comment